Sunday, August 14, 2005

I'm the biggest tool ever

This morning at 9:47am, I was quite possibly the happiest person on the planet. I had been dreading this day, my "hard run" day, but it quite literally breezed by. Woke up at 7:30, got out the door at around 8 and started on my long run in what was, in any other context, really crappy weather. It was windy, cold, and most importantly, raining--I couldn't have asked for a better day for my first substantial run outside.

So, for 6km around Tindall Field (that's 15x400m laps) I forcing myself to slow down, knowing that for the next 7km, I'd have to beat my 1km pace by 10 seconds each 1000m. The first 6km, I ran at a pretty consistent speed, anywhere between 5:45 and 6:10 kilometre. It got a little more difficult after that, since I have such a hard time telling how fast (even relatively) that I'm running. Speeding up is easy enough, considering how slow I was running beforehand, but I was more than a little inconsistent for the rest of the run. Big finish though, running the last 1000m in 4:45.

Ok, so 13km done, and it's not even 9:30! Total running time: 1:13 or so.

The swim went fairly well, aside from getting kicked in the quads by a few kids and having another wack me in the face... I think I've got fairly large lungs, so when I'm blowing bubbles, they pretty much eliminate any peripheral vision I might have in the water; that said, flailing limbs are the last thing I'd expect to come shooting towards my face while I'm doing laps. If nothing else, it's a small taste of what I can expect at the actual race! Today was an endurance day, pyramid 8 laps, which turned out to be delightfully painful! I think I'm starting to get a hang of swimming in a smoother kind of motion, and making sure that I'm still moving while breathing. Upper-body strength is improving, even if just a little; I hope the push in my stroke isn't just wishful thinking! 2000m, total swim time 55mins.

Anyways, as I'm sitting here at the Goat feeling incredibly pleased with myself, I take a look at my training schedule...AND I WAS SUPPOSED TO DO 15KM. Whatever, I can make it up some other time, and I'm pretty sure I could've kept going, no joke.

I'm such a tool. :) But a happy, exhausted tool who is just about to head home to go to bed.

Btw, funny story about a woman in a green towel and rope (that's it, nothing else).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home