Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bonk!

Technically, not really a bonk, just a bad, BAD morning.

Yesterday afternoon, I made a hard push on my run--what with the heat and the humidity, the rainstorm didn't make as much of a difference as I had hoped. In any case, I was quite proud of my 5600m, especially after a fairly intense bike ride early in the morning. It's funny how other people being on the track make a difference in my performance; there's a sprinter that seems to train there in the early evenings, and whenever I pass by him and his coach, my arms are a little less floppy, and my posture a little bit better. Jeebus woman, who are you trying to impress? There was also an older man jogging around the track, in the same direction as me, and I'd always speed up whenever I came up behind him; I hope that's not a breach of track-running etiquette or anything.

In any case, I went to Holub's for a potluck and sex workshop, and almost passed out halfway through. Excused myself and headed home to have a proper dinner (Haha). As I was talking on msn, I would "rest my eyes" between messages and passed out at around 11 or so.

So you'd think that some substantial sleep like that would leave me refreshed and ready to go the next day--not so, not so. Woke up this morning with a splitting headache, feeling incredibly weak. In short, like a pile of shit, steaming and tightly coiled. Recently, I've come to realize that training is NOT losing weight, and NOT getting into shape--it's training, and that the focus should be on quality, not quantity. That said, I convinced myself to skip the swim workout, and instead rest during the day for a good weights session in the evening.

The meeting with Jon went fairly well I think; with the Oshawa trip and body composition testing out of the way, I'm trying to move beyond my previous short-term goals regarding fat, endurance and other things. I have a good base established, and now I'll be embarking on a program with more structure and objectives beyond simply logging the miles (or metres). Fun! So incredibly pumped and looking forward to tomorrow, Day 1.

Anyways, no weights for me today, I'm going to save it for a good all-out 5km sprint tomorrow to establish my goal pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home