Friday, August 12, 2005

1500m splits

Ok, today was Day 1 of a new program. Ran 5km as fast as I could, really givin'er at the end, with a final time of 24:56--not bad! That's an average speed of 12.034km/hr, and 4:59/km pace.

Here are my times for each 1500m:
1. 6:50:84
2. 14:06:32
3. 21:25.27
4. 24:52:68*

*This was at the end of the 5km, so the distance between times 3 and 4 is only 500m.

So let's do the math:

Speed over each interval
1. 13.14km/hr
2. 12.39km/hr
3. 12.24km/hr
4. 8.65km/hr

So maybe not pushing as hard as I had thought...definitely felt like it though. Looking at the speeds, I think my next goal should be to get some negative splits in there--going faster at the end, so figuring out what percentage of my maximum effort I should be putting in over the course of the 5km so that I have enough left in me to really push it.

Listening to a lot of Zen & The Art of Triathlon lately. I really enjoy this guy's take on the whole thing. The way he approaches it makes me WANT to adopt this as a lifestyle, as opposed to a short-term athletic goal. Moreover, I am starting to understand that the mindset you get into while training can be applied to so many other aspects of life; from what I've read, listened to and seen so far, I get the impression that this is about balance, and juggling a whole lotta balls at once, while walking on a tightrope and reciting the complete works of William Shakespeare backwards. With a full time job, school and a new sport, I'm definitely going to be doing some juggling this year. Nevertheless, I'm having so much fun right now--always being busy, having to plan out my day each night before I go to bed...I feel great. Superfantastic. Except for a few minutes this morning as I shook off the remainder of a really good night at the QP. But yeah...so far, this is amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home