Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Playing at doubles

So this weekend proved to be incredibly productive, and suprisingly encouraging despite spending most of it exhausted beyond belief.

I'll admit, I was more than a little bummed on Friday afternoon when plans for both whitewater rafting and the Wolfe Island Music Festival fell through. Nevertheless, slugged through a crappy circuit on Friday afternoon, and somehow, had an amazing bike ride on Saturday morning. I'll have to start taking a disposable camera with me when I go on those early morning rides, just because the fields out on King St. are so beatuiful! Granted, the smell of cow manure warming in the sun, along with the moisture in the air given the ridiculous humidity is a little overpowering...but when you're flying along at 25kph, it's not that bad.

Later that day, bought my first swim cap (ever) and a pair of goggles (first since....grade 7). Although I anticipated swimming to be the hardest part of training, I feel as if I'm improving rather quickly. Being aware of things like timing and posture have helped a lot since I first started; reeking of chlorine is a small price to pay for the wonderful feeling of EMPTINESS that takes over every single muscle right afterwards. I like the idea of working out so hard that I can't walk out of the building.

Today was the real test for me though; although I've done a run/swim day before, this was a completely different experience simply because I did the swimming first. At 3:00, I took off from work, biked about 2km down to the pool. Swam a good 675m of freestyle with rest laps inbetween; afterwards, booked it back to the JDUC and took an hour break. Biked over to West Campus and tried running on the track. 5km in the heat and sun and after swimming has left me completely wiped. And to think, my goal distance for today was 12km.

Ok, so anyways, the point: how am I supposed to do this triathlong thing if I can barely pull through a workout like today? Haha, I'm probably not in as good shape as I had previously thought. Anyways, bought a triathlon book...good reading so far, and a nice break from Marya Hornbacher's take on bulimia and anorexia.

At the Goat, once again, and completely wiped. But feeling good. Bed time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home