Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Vancouver: Day 5, St. Michael's Hospital

Today: 45min spin, 4.5km run, 2100m swim

Went to see gramps again today. It's funny how radical the difference is between his good and bad days. I brought my camera with me thinking it'd be good to take some pictures, but after the first few, it just felt really tacky. It was interesting to see how we situated ourselves in the room in a triangle as if we were somehow supporting him as he coughed and weakly pawed at the cups of water on his side-table. Again, it's like when my mother's father died--I wasn't really close to him either, so when all that happened, it was more trying to understand what was happening to my mother than truly mourning my grandfather. It's weird whenever he says goodbye, because I think we all collectively wince on the inside, and wonder whether there's a double meaning to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home