Thursday, February 16, 2006

Killing time, without remorse


Today: 13.97km, 1500m swim

It's just a little past 8 and I'm killing some time while I wait for a 1:00am bus to take me to Pearson International where I'll catch a flight at 7am to Vancouver.

One of the things that gets me through my run is a nice, substantial and well-worked wad of chewing gum. It's something that started during the summer completely by accident, but it definitely helps to absorb some of the tension in my jaw when I clench my teeth or whatnot. Anyways, I used to be an avid chewer of Dentyne Ice (Shiver), but found Excel (Peppermint) to be a good balance between crunchy outer shell and soft inner chewing material. Imagine my surprise when, earlier this month, I noticed something new on the shelves at the Tuck Shoppe (in the JDUC): Excel Voltage. Intrigued, I bought a pack, and although I was turned off by the relatively strong flavour at first, I've found that it lasts a bit longer than other Excel gum, and also stays softer while I'm pounding the pavement on a cold morning. On Tuesday I tried one of the other flavours, Fuse, which turns out to be a weird cherry flavour reminiscent of Halls or Robitussen DM. Tonight I'll be trying out the Charge and Shock flavours. Shock has an orange foil package--wonder if that means what I think it means.

This morning after my run, I was absolutely famished, probably due to the fact that having run out of reasons to eat real food, I've been eating lots and lots of banana chips. Anyways, heated up half a banana (sliced) with a tablespoon of cottage cheese and some rice krispies. Yummy and kept me awake during a particularly engaging Art History class.

I'm looking forward to going to hot yoga tomorrow; apparently there's a studio about a 15-minute walk from my house. Right now I'm trying to convince my sister over MSN to come along.

Tonight Kingston is covered in a solid sheet of ice: so glad I'm not running in this tomorrow morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home